Elton Ward Creative was established in 1937 as a photographic portrait studio, before extending to camera retailing and photographic processing in the 1940s.
Prior to automated operations, Elton Ward's in-house laboratory processed, by hand, hundreds of rolls of black and white film per day. Also, in the pre-television era, Elton Ward operated the largest movie lending library in the country. Feature films were despatched to country towns and some as far away as Papua New Guinea.
With a new generation in the 1970s, Elton Ward expanded into Commercial and Advertising photography, with the automation of the processing laboratory enabling large format colour printing and transparency processing. As technology improved and changed, the small art room that existed in the early 1980s grew, and gradually became the mainstay of the company's activity into the 1990s.
The company has remained family owned and operated from its inception to the present day.